Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Flying to the Mainland

In October 2005, one hundred fifty Cora from several mountain villages met for the first time to sing, pray, and share their testimonies.  They named this annual meeting, "The Cora Celebrate Jesus." 

We're leaving for the annual celebration this morning after breakfast and prayer.   Seven of us will fly in two planes across the Sea of Cortez to Santiago Ixcuintla where we'll leave the Beechcraft Baron.  We'll use the Cessna 182 to transport believers from the remote village of Gavilanes.  This celebration, where they will worship and receive teaching is a great encouragement to the Cora because for many, it is the only Christian fellowship they have outside their own village.

Once in the mountains, Rick will fly with me until we both feel comfortable with me flying there alone.  Last year I was privileged to fly to a few villages to help prepare for the gathering, but was unable to stay for the meetings.  These pictures were taken last year.  As you can see, the runways are short and we never know what we'll find on them!  Thank you for praying for our safety.  Also, please be praying for the Cora, that this celebration will be a great encouragement to them and that God will be glorified.

We won't have any way to communicate while in Santa Teresa, but hope to get an email or two out through Rick's phone.  The plan is to return to La Paz Monday.

There’s been some confusion about my flying posts and some of you have asked if Brad’s a pilot. No, Brad’s a tightwad. He likes to fly but doesn’t want to pay for instruction. I’m a flight instructor so whenever we get the chance, I give him a lesson. He’s slowly building his hours and this trip has been a great opportunity for both of us to log cross-country hours, he as a student, and me as an instructor.

The runway at Gavilanes (taken last year)

Burro on the runway at Santa Teresa (last year)

3 comments:

  1. Guys, Megan is showing me how to work this blog -- helping me push the right button to write this and in a second send this note to you.. thanks to Megan -- okay --I'm thrilled for you in this experience -- and what a time it looks that you are having.. Know that we're praying for you and the ministry to the many people you are coming into contact with. As you return Pastor Randy and I would like for you to give the congregation here a 10 - 15 minute report on sunday evening service Oct. 18th. Time of the service will be 5:30 p.m. I trust this will get to you and you can begin thinking and praying about this. God Bless, Pastor Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys...first, Craig, you need to be careful how the picture captions show on the blog...for instance when it said "Burro on the runway..." right UNDER the photo of YOU I was a bit taken aback. I mean, I KNOW you are a young man of humilty, but really? Referring to yourself as a burro was even a bit over the top :) As for Brad being a tightwad, that is because he's saving his money to return to Haiti and deliver babies...or at least that's the way I heard it from Bud! Truly, we are so proud of both of you and are praying for your parents (especially your mom) through this adventure God has you on and oh yes, we're praying for you too! I have already begun the book from your aunt and am LOVING IT! What an amazing, faithful servant of the Lord and now when you post "places" some are actually a bit familiar to me from the book. PTL. In Him, Bud & Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for tightwads!

    Praise God for this awesomeness!

    -Jannel

    ReplyDelete