Thursday, October 15, 2009

Medical Flight


Santa Teresa has a small medical clinic. Friday evening they had a lady who was in labor but having complications. The electricity which is supplied to only part of the village was out and the doctor needed us to fly her out. Rick and I flew her and her husband 12 minutes away to Jesus Maria where we were to meet an ambulance. It was getting late, and we were in a hurry to get back before sunset because once the sun goes down, it gets dark quickly in the mountains. If it did get too late, we could have flown 90 miles to Mazatlan, but we weren’t feeling the need for a vacation. When we landed at Jesus Maria, the ambulance wasn’t there, so we took off and started looking for it. I felt sorry for this lady being in labor and having us maneuver around, looking for the ambulance.  We spotted it several miles away, slowly coming up the dirt road, so we went back and landed. After dropping the couple off, we circled once more to make sure that the ambulance was still coming. We were in a hurry to get back but were also concerned about her so we watched and as soon as the ambulance turned in, we headed back to Santa Teresa, landing just before sunset.


Rick and I became friends with the doctor after returning.

4 comments:

  1. Whoa!! I know just how I feel when a mother in labor starts developing complications where I work in a controlled environment. How it must have been for you ferrying this mother with no medical folk along! You signed on for some excitment didn't you. And then be pressed for daylight time on top of it all. God is good. Isn't it amazing where He will take you and how He will lead you when you choose to serve Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I just don't have any words. How rewarding that flight must have been for you guys once it was over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yikes!! just when I thought it couldn't get any more exciting, in walks a pregnant lady...I can't wait until this comes out on video! I hope you offered her some peanuts during the flight : ) I'm sure Uncle Dru will find the filtration system equally exciting, but it looked too much like a science experiment to me. We'll be praying for you as you travel home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am a bit speechless...what an incredible experience, and amazing opportunity to be used for the Lord. For such a time as this!!!

    ReplyDelete